tom . hornberger on 15 Jul 2013 09:11:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Home automation

For temp and humidity sensors I suggest using Maxim ICs' "1-wire" devices.  Maxim makes temp sensors and other devices that connect using 1 wire (& ground!)  These sensors are real popular in the hobbyist weather station market.  They're also relatively cheap and can be hooked up in a daisy chain fashion using Cat5 (okay you can use Cat3, but who buys that anymore!) Maxim makes a couple of interface devices that use serial (RS-232) or USB to connect to your computer.  Check out Tim Bitson's "Weather Toys" for more info.

Tom