Rich Freeman on 30 Jul 2013 08:25:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Odd Git Behavior

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Douglas Muth <doug.muth@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used git 1.8.0.2 and was able to reproduce this from the instructions you
> gave above.  As far as I can tell, you are using format-patch properly.  The
> non-existant filename issue is a little disturbing.

Speculation on gentoo-dev is that this is related to the function not
working properly with merges - it is designed for linear histories.

However, there were other cases of odd behavior, like patches for
"README" files that contained obvious code (unless the README files
really contain code).

The files mentioned do exist if you search the repository - but
they're a few levels down.  The paths are truncated.

Something odd is going on.  I tried it on two versions of git: 1.8.1.5
and 1.8.3.2.  Both exhibited the problem.  I'm tempted to reproduce it
on a live build (one of the things I like about Gentoo - many packages
can be built against live development sources).

Rich