Sam Gleske on 16 Aug 2013 13:02:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Offline Backup Solutions

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

Aside from the all-or-nothing compression issues, duplicity is also a
bit complex as far as the command line options go when you want to
back up multiple paths with exclusions.  Dar is much friendlier in
this regard, and you can specify files that do not get compressed (but
it still lacks lzo support and partial diffs).

So, we're getting there.

For remote backups like amazon s3 I recommend using git for deduplication.  I recently read about it in this article.  It's a pretty neat little hack.  So long as you're not trying to back up other git repositories this way.

http://tomdalling.com/blog/random-stuff/using-git-for-hacky-archive-deduplication/

I had some fun playing with it and benchmarking it.  Here's the github page where I played with it and more information about what I was doing and discovered.  See the known issues.

https://github.com/sag47/drexel-university/tree/master/bin#gitarsh---a-simple-deduplication-and-compression-script