Julien Mills on 11 Sep 2013 13:11:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: PLUG N: "Hacking FOSSCON"... follow-up

JP, thanks for summarizing the meetings, I'm not sure about others but I appreciate it.  I wish I could have been there last night.

Julien M.

Oh, I forgot.  I talked about Redmine, that I'm trying to get to use at
work, and that I found trying to get Ruby & Rails to work on CentOS-5.x
was a giant mess.  There are better ways though, like:

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/redmine
    = 7 flavors (more-or-less) of VMs

http://bitnami.com/stack/redmine
    = a VM (but really hazy on details of said VM)
    = Or a monolithic "just stick it all in /opt/" installer

I had previously missed the monolithic installer.  With THAT I had
Redmine installed on CentOS-5 in ~10 minutes, though granted it's
controlled a bit different than usual.  E.g.:
http://wiki.bitnami.com/Native_Installers_Quick_Start_Guide#How_can_I_create_a_full_backup_of_a_Stack.3f
http://wiki.bitnami.com/Native_Installers_Quick_Start_Guide#How_can_I_start_or_stop_the_servers.3f

(Also, a tool Jonathan likes: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/etherpad)