Michael Leone on 16 Dec 2013 10:12:53 -0800

[PLUG] Rsync advice wanted

I have a setup now where I have a RH server in my DMZ, and my vendors
use SFTP to copy files to us. I also have a Ubuntu VM on my trusted
LAn that will reach into that box (via SSH; the DMZ has copies of it's
keys); run a script to sweep all new files into a single ZIP file;
rsync that back into the trusted LAN; and deletes the source on the
DMZ. I had a whole lot of help from this list with that script close
to 3.5 years ago now (thanks again!) and it's been running fine.

Now, I have a need to go in the opposite direction. We want to send
files to the DMZ, for other vendors to pick up (also over SFTP).
Ideally, Here's what I am thinking, please comment.

These new vendors will have home directories in an entirely different
tree from the vendors that send in files. Reason: I can then easily
duplicate this tree on the trusted side (we're talking less than 10
user directories, total).

When we have a file to send to User-1, we write it in the "home
directory" of User-1 on the trusted side. Then, on a schedule, a
script will make an rsync connection over SSH to the DMZ; replicate
any files on the trusted side to the DMZ side (ignoring any files on
the DMZ side that happen to already exist), and then deleting the file
from the trusted side.

Rsync should be able to do this, with these options?

rsync -rvz  --ignore-existing --remove-source-files
<trusted-side-tree> <DMZ-user@DMZ-IP:/DMZ-side-tree>

DMZ-user can be given rights into the user home directory, so it can
write files there.

This way, the script cleans out the trusted side (the "outgoing
files"), while not touching any files that the vendor may have not yet
SFTPed out.

Thoughts? I know I've missed something, or made some stupid assumption.

I have very very little experience writing Linux scripts, but have
written many on Windows (CMD, Powershell) so it's more the specific
implementation on Linux that I am weak on.