Greg Helledy on 24 Jan 2014 11:13:55 -0800

[PLUG] "command not found" errors with different distro. 32-bit vs 64-bit?

After using Debian stable for many years (and many upgrades-in-place) I decided to do a fresh install. I made a backup of my /usr/local directory and copied some of its contents back onto the new system. Now, when I try to run the games, I get a "command not found" error. This occurs from the command line, when I am in the directory where the script or executable is located, and results are the same whether I'm a regular user or root.

Example 1:
-----------------------------
pwd
/usr/local/games/ioquake3

(ioquake is a shell script which calls ioquake3.i386, an executable. Both have executable bit set.)

sh ioquake3
ioquake3: 48: exec: ./ioquake3.i386: not found

whereis ioquake3.i386
ioquake3: /usr/local/games/ioquake3
----------------------------
Example 2:
----------------------------
pwd
/usr/local/games/ut

(ut is a a shell script which calls System/ut-bin, an executable. Both have executable bit set.)

sh ut
ut: 84: exec: ./ut-bin: not found

cd System
pwd
/usr/local/games/ut/System
ls|grep ut-
ut-bin

./ut-bin
bash: ./ut-bin: No such file or directory
-----------------------------

Old system:  Debian squeeze i386
New system: Linux Mint 13 amd64 (which is based on Ubuntu 12.04, an LTS release)

In both cases I am using KDE.

Is this an issue with 32-bit executables on a 64-bit os? If so, is there a way to fix it so I can run my "antique" games? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any ideas,
Greg

-- NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged
information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing, copying of distribution of, or reliance on this message by
unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.