Fred Stluka on 16 Feb 2014 12:08:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Wrapping/Quoting Mail

Rich,

What mail client are you using to compose the message?  Or are
you just piping stdin into mail?

In Thunderbird, I use Cmd-Shift-O to "Paste as Quotation".  To
add more levels of quoting, I cut the pasted text with Cmd-X
and re-paste with Cmd-Shift-O.  Each time, it adds a quote level.

In Aquamacs Emacs, to re-wrap a region of quoted text, I select
it and hit Opt-Q to "Wrap and Re-Format (fill)".  It notes that the
lines currently start with "> " and preserves that on the front of
each line as it wraps.

In Aquamacs Emacs, to quote an unquoted region, or to add
another level of quoting to the quoted region, I hit:
- Ctrl-Enter       to enter Rectangular Region mode
- Down-Arrow   to move down, extending the highlighted rectangle
- "> "                 to prefix all highlighted lines with "> "

For more info:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Internet.htm#thunderbird_shortcut_keys
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix.htm#emacs_shortcut_keys

HTH,
--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.