Bill Patterson on 20 Feb 2014 13:21:14 -0800
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Corporate email and webpage hosting provider?
- From: Bill Patterson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Corporate email and webpage hosting provider?
- Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:20:51 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20121106; t=1392931266; bh=bw/6LQFdjHNGBNIsVwlaDxV7+zr0yYX2YfBdqb13asw=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=CMTEm5wkLn+0F2fRFC04NbgoR5j+BPBXE8yDy+lxmr8Wol9IJ6MGOTaac45jXmlqO TFDFglbj2GSbQ6ZhJQzP4YsDTLuHmr8T7Igti6vhsuadM5RU4WQX3M3+9GuwWnvYRu 4+SLpYRtgG7XNkrzDv8viupJ6zmn0oE+iRRffrbEdpsl6kfT6E/pFYcQjdvEqTvOgE PuB2ulj7cgOCEH/P86vhNr05Aev/VPx+Py++61xVkS64HNxOROBJ00JlkRxDTVMR/Q lPrltp6BgRvvrZ+F47MxfL+OBNHOMncNQ+2y4co0xfJf5mGrK9Vg8Y3auA6OnmnGeT 8NIu0zt0Uu8OQ==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: "plug" <email@example.com>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/24.3.0
I've had good service from phpwebhosting.com (after they were taken over
by new owners in 2000 or 2001), with the site never disappearing or
losing data. There have been occasional down times. But there was an
experience prior to 2002 where all the data on the site was lost. It
never repeated under the new owners.
There is a new issue with many providers of email servers, in that many
large sites will block a sender by IP address, and a hosting service's
shared server may not be able to help getting blocked, because all it
takes is one spammer signing up for the hosting service to get everyone
on the IP tarnished and blocked. This DID happen to me with
phpwebhosting.com through no fault of theirs. They have a workaround
they say will work, but rather than implement it I took the easier route
and redirected my email through comcast.net instead of phpwebhosting.com.
On 2/20/2014 10:59 AM, Greg Helledy wrote:
We have hosted our IMAP email and webpage in-house many years without
a problem, but that means these disappear when the power to the
building goes out. The recent ice storm took the company off the
internet for nearly 5 days, which the owners have decided is
unacceptable and they're willing to pay to guarantee that never
The web page is a very simple html information sheet, nothing
interactive. If that matters, it's designed/updated with Wordpress.
We would have about 20 email boxes. We'd also be interested in
If anyone has any recommendations, positive or negative, about
providers, please send them my way. Realistically, name recognition
will be a factor, because of the "big = reliable" assumption.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug