Doug Stewart on 25 Feb 2014 12:38:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Porting Wordpress

WP Admin->Settings->Permalinks. Make sure you click "Save Changes".

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Eric H. Johnson <ejohnson@camalytics.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Any Wordpress gurus out there? I am trying to help port a Wordpress site, but have never used Wordpress before. I have setup an Ubuntu 12.04 server with a LAMP stack and had no trouble installing Wordpress from the repository, including pointing apache at the appropriate folder. I then blew away and imported the  database for the site and copied the wp-content folder to /usr/share/wordpress. Wordpress admin comes up fine and I patched the wordpress address and site address.

The content seems to be there as I can access and edit pagest from Wordpress admin, and the home page comes up fine. The problem is that none of the links resolve,  I just get 404 errors. These links of course resolved on the original site. The Apache log simply states ‘File does not exist’. The paths look correct as for example http://www.example.com/about. I have also tried using the page id such as http://www.example.com/?page_id=3 which generates the same error.

I saw something about doing a search and replace with a serialize aware tool, but the only place I see URLs that could be replaced are in the guid field of the wp_posts table, where I also saw that those should not be touched. I am not seeing links of the form appearing in that column anyway, so don’t think that is the problem.

I think I patched the configuration files correctly because the home page comes up properly, can access the appropriare database, etc.

Any ideas what I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Eric

-Doug