Rich Freeman on 2 Mar 2014 12:42:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Another wordpress question

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Bill Hance <bill@billhance.com> wrote:
> With WordPress v3.8.1 I believe security updates happen automatically.

Unless it stores code in the database, that isn't going to happen
unless the updates are performed under a uid with write-access to the
code.  I imagine most distros are going to install it without giving
apache write access.

Mixing distro update management and package update management isn't
usually a good idea.  It doesn't always fail, but generally I'd stick
with one or the other.  Upstreams really need to learn to work with
distros and not sidestep them.

Donnie Berkholz's recent FOSDEM talk is relevant though.  I'm not sure
I agree 100% with it - it might work for the "Devops" crowd, or maybe
for those using config management.  I'm not sure it applies to those
who maintain and upgrade systems in-place for long periods of time.

Rich