Rich Freeman on 5 Mar 2014 04:43:59 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Using IPv6 with dynamic endpoints

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 3:18 AM, Lee H. Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
> I dont use any FIOS supported gareway.  FIOS goes straight to my pfSense VM.

I'd prefer to avoid doing this if possible.  However, I haven't found
any docs that would help me even if I wanted to do this (with dynamic
IPv6, not using NAT, and with DNS for the local network).

> Yes,  Ip6 addresses are global and you dont NAT.  Dont be afraid of using a
> tunnel,  there is much to learn.

I'm not afraid of using a tunnel, and have run them in the past, and
successfully accessed ipv6-only websites over them, etc.

However, I'm looking to prepare for a time sometime down the road when
I won't need a tunnel to run IPv6.

In any case, if you have docs on how to use a tunnel for IPv6 with a
DNS server for local network hosts running on a different box I'd be
interested in that, but it can't involve hard-coding full IPs in
config files, as they are subject to change.

Everything I've found to-date either ignores DNS, or assumes all the
addresses are static so it just hard-codes them in the BIND config
files.  That's easy to do, but not particularly useful if the address
isn't static.

Yes, I know there are a million howtos on how to set up IPv6 using a
tunnel broker, but they don't involve DNS and dynamic IPs, and that is
the part I'm most interested in.  I'd also like to understand the
implications for PXE booting, though if necessary I suppose I can set
up my DHCP server to still hand out IPv4 for PXE only and not set a
gateway so that nothing routes over it (though I imagine that some LAN
traffic will end up being IPv4 when hosts discover each other in that
way).

Rich