Gavin W. Burris on 18 Apr 2014 06:38:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] two window managers

Hi, Carl.

Watch out.  On different distributions you will alternately use
~/.xinitrc OR ~/.xsession as a user X startup script.  I know Fedora /
Red Hat / CentOS use ~/.xsession for this.

For example, here is a script for starting XBMC fullscreen without a
window manager:

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
/usr/bin/xhost +local:
/usr/local/xbmc/bin/xbmc
/usr/bin/xterm -geometry 225x30-0-0 -bg black -fg white

Notice that I have an xterm without ampersand last.  When running startx
from a console, X11 will be running as long as this script does not
reach the end and exit, so you want one command at the end that does not
background.  I like to put an extra xterm last so I know the previous
program died, and not X.  If you want a full-blown desktop, replace the
xbmc command with something like the gnome-session or cinnamon-session
command to get the usual desktop environment started.

Cheers.

On Thu 04/17/14 07:29PM -0400, Carl Johnson wrote:
> Oh yeah... this is Centos 6.5 by the way...
>

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Carl Johnson <cjohnson19791979@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a way to have, for example, twm for one user and, gdm
> > for another? As it is now, the system boots to runlevel 3 and, I can get
> > into gnome from both "root" and "testuser". I've installed twm with "yum
> > install twm" but, neither user can get into twm. So far I've tried "xinit
> > -e /usr/bin/twm, "twm" and they don't work.

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania