Sam Gleske on 3 May 2014 08:32:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] udp ports

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Sam Gleske <sam.mxracer@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
I'm open to correction here if I have things wrong, but this
limitation really only applies to programs listening for a connection.
 That is, you can't have more than 64k different listening sockets at
a time.

You're incorrect.  In order to open a socket connection you need a source port and a destination port.  So you as a client open a port in your 65535 ports (usually an arbitrarily high number) for receiving communication from the server.  TCP multiplexing is still involved with receiving server communication on a client.  Short answer is yes you're limited by the combination of listening sockets and receive ports for data from server to client communications.

Correction I incorrectly used the term TCP multiplexing.  I was referring to how ports allow data on the same physical data connection to multiplex using the concept of ports.  I didn't realize there was an actual standard for TCP multiplexing (multiple types of services using the same port) however my original statement still stands: the combination outbound/inbound connections count toward the 65535 ports.