Rich Freeman on 3 May 2014 18:55:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] udp ports

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM, brent saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast

Multicast is a bit different.  With multicast (including the specific
case of broadcast) my computer sends a single packet, and it goes to
many other computers, with routers replicating traffic at each point
along the way as needed.

With unicast my computer has to send the same packet once for each
destination it is intended for.  You can still do that using a single
source port for every computer on the internet, and even 64k
destination ports on each of those.  It wouldn't make the network
admins too happy though, assuming the NIC didn't melt.

Rich