Rich Freeman on 9 May 2014 13:09:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] iSCSI storage appliance(s)

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Gavin W. Burris <bug@wharton.upenn.edu> wrote:
> I've never operated a large storage system that didn't have a solid
> hardware raid controller.  The through-put, cache and battery backup
> that a good controller provides are important.  I admit I'm biased,
> because I've had nothing but bad experiences with software raid.

Does that include mdadm?  I've never had a problem with it, but I
don't run large SANs or anything like that.

One big advantage of mdadm is flexibility - a typical hardware RAID is
limited to a bunch of drives of the same size (or at least it won't
use more space on each than that available in the smallest drive).
Software RAID is much more flexible, usually allows reshaping, and so
on.

Rich