Gavin W. Burris on 9 May 2014 13:40:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] iSCSI storage appliance(s)

One of my cheapest bulk sneakernet options was eSATA, hot-plugged and
rsynced after getting carried off a plane or boat.  Worked well, but the
drive was also a self-contained hardware RAID 5 with ext4 on it.
Cheers.

On Fri 05/09/14 04:32PM -0400, brent timothy saner wrote:
> On 05/09/2014 04:17 PM, Gavin W. Burris wrote:
> > Hi, Lee.
> >
> > I was implying that one should confirm that hot swapping drives
> > under Linux is a good idea with a particular hardware config sans
> > raid controller.
>
> oh, it's totally do-able.
> http://blog.kihltech.com/2012/12/sata-hotswap-drive-in-mdadm-raid-array/
> for an example. i'd argue it's even easier to do with mdadm than it is
> with most dedicated RAID controllers.
>
> note that you can even hotswap non-raided devices with newer SATA
> controllers, even consumer level (provided you aren't running, say,
> /usr on the disk you swap out. there are ways to do that, but if you
> need that kind of hotswap capability- you're gonna want to run a
> mirroring-type RAID regardless).

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania