Eric H. Johnson on 20 May 2014 05:04:40 -0700

[PLUG] Concurrent Programming

All,

This is primarily for Paul. At dinner after the PLUG west meeting, I mentioned a concurrent programming language called “Concurrent Pascal” which while syntactically very different, as many of the features of Clojure. This language dates to the late 70’s I believe. Here is the Wiki entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_Pascal

It uses OOP like constructs to implement classes, monitors and processes in a similar fashion to objects in C++, Object Pascal, etc. even though it significantly predated those implementations.

Not sure how actively it is being maintained, but it can still be downloaded from the University or York (UK) here:

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/burns/pf.html

Regards,

Eric