Carl Johnson on 25 Jul 2014 07:51:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Shared desktop on lxde

Perfect! Thanks for the help. I'll try it out tonight.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM, Keith C. Perry <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
I have scripts that do this for me but I'll give you an example of using this without SSH or SSL encryption (i.e. for use on your LAN or when tunneling through a VPN to a trusted LAN.

On my private servers I run a command like this...

x11vnc -ultrafilexfer -shared -bg -forever -nossl -usepw

and in the ssvnc client, I can do Vnc://<server IP>  on the host line and enter the password on the appropriate line below that or just wait for the server to request it.

(the capitol V is a shortcut to indicate its and unencrypted connection)

What this gives me is access to the currently running X11 session (you can also do specific sessions for VNC).  So anything I can do at the console I can do through the VNC connection.  If someone was sitting in front of the screen they would see everything I'm doing.  When I'm using this with my clients in a helpdesk or troubleshooting capacity, I'm either having them show me what happened or walking them through something.  How that connection is establish is different but VNC is VNC.

In your case, it sounds like the user would be logging into an X11 session first so this would work for you.  I haven't done it but there should be a way to access multiple user session (you can specific the X11 port and screen) as well but it doesn't sound like you need that.

Also the "ultrafilexfer" option is there so that I can push or pull files from the host I'm connecting to.  That means when using the UltraVNC client (Windows) the file transfer will work.  You can also use TightVNC or not use that option at all if you don't need it.  The ssvnc client does both so either windows vnc server standard is supported (also doesn't apply in your case).

Does that answer your question a bit more?

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.