Keith C. Perry on 11 Aug 2014 13:18:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Network gateway solution for small business?

Throw in SquidClam (http://squidclamav.darold.net/) or some other FOSS ICAP product (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Content_Adaptation_Protocol) and Brent's build is looking good.

In fact...  You **might** be able to get this going on an ARM device- a Raspberry Pi?  Maybe... but certainly a Beaglebone Black and Hummingboard could and those are both under $100.  Even once you add the second USB nic you're still going to be at no more that $150.  Plus the energy consumption would be a lot less, if that matters to you.

Ok, sorry for the geek out but this something on my short list of ARM builds.  :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "brent timothy saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2014 4:01:24 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Network gateway solution for small business?

On 08/11/2014 03:03 PM, Greg Helledy wrote:

> We are leaning towards 3. for a few reasons:
>
> a. the router will be easier to maintain, take up less space, produce
> less noise and heat, and consume less electricity than a PC
> b. it looks like we can get a small business-class router for around
> (~$500) the price of a basic PC
> c. we can get an appliance that does out-of-the-box the things we care
> about, and don't need the additional flexibility that a PC would provide.
>
> The things we need are:
> *gateway with firewall that can be configured to do port forwarding of
> incoming connections
> *ability to handle 2 WANs simultaneously.  We have service from two
> providers, for redundancy.  We don't need any complex traffic
> shaping/load balancing, just need traffic to go to ISP B when ISP A is
> down.
> *DHCP that can assign fixed IPs to networked machines by MAC
> *antivirus scanning of traffic, to protect the Windows-based machines on
> the LAN
> *a built-in wireless access point would be nice, but is not necessary
> (we can just plug something in).
>
> I have started doing some research but surprisingly, flaky firmware
> seems to be a frequent user complaint even in this class of device.  I
> love my tomato router at home but we need to stick with factory firmware
> for this application.  If anyone has a recommendation, please send it my
> way.  Thanks in advance, and sorry for the interruption.

i actually JUST yesterday specced out and ordered parts for a router box.

Links, assuming you have no pre-existing hardware (cage, etc.). Note
that I give Prime prices.

9U cab, locking, better airflow (because glass doors on a locking cage
are *stupid*):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070FWC72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$218.52

Cheap UPS by CyberPower (510W, MORE than enough for associated hardware):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DBAA696/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$76.95

1U router box barebones, quiet, LOW power consumption:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GKULFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$337.99

RAM for routerbox:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BW6DQ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$20.79

SSD for routerbox:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZWLRSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$49.45 ea. (recommended 2x for RAID-1)

Ubiquiti PoE switch (10/100/1000):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXTK90W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$95.00

Ubiquiti Wi-fi AP:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XXMUCQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
67.90 ea. (recommended at least 2x, but the range is *fantastic*)

SO there you go. ALL together (including redundancy/expansion
recommendations i gave), 984.95USD.

Not too bad at all for a total equipment inventory. feel free to
mix/match for stuff that doesn't match your specs/requirements.

Note that that routerbox barebones is  about the size, if not smaller,
of a dedicated appliance, will use comparable power, but can take any
x86_64 distro you wanna throw at it- pfSense, debian, openbsd, whatever.
it goes without saying that NIC bonding or selective routing or whatever
you want for dual-WAN can be done a multitude of ways with a full *nix
OS. you can also run something like snort for the packet inspection.