Rich Freeman on 30 Aug 2014 03:44:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Image-based partial backup?

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:37 PM, brent saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'd imagine you could hack something up with rsync and the Linux port of
> mtree (since ntfs won't properly capture all the metadata). were you looking
> for offline snapshotting or online?

I'd really prefer not to have to build my own solution.  I'm
definitely looking for an offline solution - I don't object to an
online one but it seems like this would be much harder to pull off.

There are lots of file-based solutions that would probably work.
BackupPC doesn't support volume shadow copy but is otherwise fairly
ideal.  Bacula is less ideal but does support volume shadow copy.  The
thing is that neither one can really restore a system to the same
state from a blank hard drive.  They are more about just backing up
your home directory / windows profile and starting from an installed
OS.

With something like clonezilla you just replace the hard drive, PXE
boot the system, and hit the restore button and come back in a few
hours and it is done.

--
Rich