Eric at Lucii.org on 30 Aug 2014 05:09:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Image-based partial backup?

On 08/29/2014 10:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> Does anybody know the best way to do an image-based backup which excludes files?  I'm thinking about something like clonezilla.
>
> I realize that an image-based solution might have fundamental limitations.  I'm perfectly fine with a restored backup containing the excluded files but with zeroed-out content.  I can clean that up easily enough after restore.  I just want something that is going to restore the OS without my having to reinstall everything.
>
> Oh, and I'd like to be able to do this on NTFS and not just traditional linux filesystems.  The backup process should not modify the hard drives.
>
> I already looked at clonezilla to see if I could extend the existing logic that excludes swap files.  The thing is, that logic actually DELETES the swapfile from the drive to be backed up (which is a bit messed up if you ask me).  Obviously I can't use that as a general exclude function.
>
> Is there anything out there that does this out of the box, including for NTFS?  Ideally it should support running on clients via PXE boot, and be flexible about storing to a networked location (nfs, ssh, etc).
>
> -- Rich

Rich, does it *have* to be an image?

I used http://www.mondorescue.org/ last year in a project and
it is great.  It does not take an image but rather maps the hard
drive and stores the files.  You can specify which files it saves so
skip the /home /share if you want... you can tailor it to do exactly
what you need.  It's geared toward making a bootable iso (or multiple)
to rescue your system.

When restoring, it uses it's map of the hard drive to partition
and format the new HD (if you choose) and restores your system.
When you are restoring you can drop into a shell and edit things so,
for example, you can have it restore a 150 GB drive onto a 500 GB drive
and (re)construct the new partitions exactly as you want.  It's very
flexible.

I use it to create restore DVDs for some test stations and also to
re-build some test stations that had been improperly built:
   single disk test station ->  Mondo rescue backup DVDs
   add hard drive to test station
   Mondo restore (w/edit) -> same test station but now with RAID 0

The community was helpful and friendly.  A member of this list was
especially helpful to me in dealing with the Solaris/SPARC side of
the project and the project was a success.

Recommend you investigate Mondo Rescue.

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas