PaulNM on 2 Sep 2014 19:06:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Motherboard too long for PCIE cards?

On 09/02/2014 08:26 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> Do you have another card you can compare the problematic RAID card to?
>  You know, if you line up the bottom pins that go in the PCI slot on
> both cards side by side, do the brackets line up too or does the RAID
> card have a bracket too close in?  If they match, could the
> motherboard be mounted in an incorrect position in the case (like are
> there multiple sets of screw holes and the wrong ones were used)?

Nope, the RAID card is a normal PCIE card.  The motherboard is right up
against the I/O shield.  This definitely isn't a minor misalignment.

Sorry, this is one of those times where the problem can't really be well
explained with words.  If you look at:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=1719

and/or the RAID card pic, you'll see that PCIE slots are only just over
2 inches from the back.  The picture of the SuperMicro motherboard shows
that its x16 slot is an entire x16 slot leangth away (~6 inches).
That's over three times as far.

- PaulNM