Fred Stluka on 26 Sep 2014 06:31:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] 'Shellshock' Bug Spells Trouble for Web Security

Anyone have a good idea of how serious a concern this is, from
a practical point of view?

I've read lots of the recent articles about what the exploit could
theoretically do, but not so much about the likelihood that a
server using newer technologies is actually vulnerable.

As I understand it, the risk is only if someone can cause an
arbitrary environment variable to be set and then run a bash
script.  For example, someone already logged in to the server,
or someone accessing it via a CGI script at its Web server.

I may be safe because:
- There are only 3 users with logins and they are trusted
- There is no remote (ssh) root login, only the 3 users.
- There are no CGI scripts run by the Apache Web server
- There is no telnet access
- There is no FTP access
- There is no SMTP access
- There is Apache WSGI access to a Python/Django app
- Apache runs as user "apache", not "root"

Do I really need to worry about this, and scramble to patch
it like I did for Heartbleed?  Or just continue to apply future
security patches as usual, as they come along?

Thanks!
--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.