Rich Freeman on 28 Sep 2014 13:33:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OpenVPN Question

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> The only difference I see is that you are putting NAT rules inside the container to begin
> with.  This might be a case of context- either they ALL go on the host or they ALL go inside
> the containers.

Kinda sorta.  The issue is that the host needs to direct some if its
traffic to one of its containers (the vpn) as the default gateway, and
other of its traffic to another host as the default gateway.

That is, if I ssh into the host the reply packets should go to the
external router (if they're not local).  On the other hand, if I fire
up a browser on the host, the packets should go to the vpn.

I think in your example any particular container was hooked up to the
private or the public bridge, but not both.  In my case the host can
route to either, but different applications on the host should use one
vs the other (regardless of destination IP unless it is local).

To simplify you could just think of a network where you have two
routers, and one should be used for outgoing connections, and the
other should only be used for replies to incoming connections.

--
Rich