Rich Freeman on 14 Oct 2014 04:34:19 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Offline apps for Chromebook

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM, Fred Stluka <fred@bristle.com> wrote:

> I didn't think you could do much of anything on a Chromebook
> without a network connect.  Doesn't it really push the idea of
> keeping everything in the cloud?

It does, but html5 supports offline storage and more apps are starting
to handle that.

I believe Google docs does:
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375012?p=offline_set_up&hl=en&rd=1

There is also an offline Gmail app that works, though it is a bit
primitive compared to the normal one.

Generally offline applications still are cloud-based, but they cache
data locally and sync when online.

The Chrome Web Store has a collection of offline-enabled apps:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/collection/offline_enabled?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Quite a few apps are now offline-enabled compared to when I first
started using ChromeOS.  It is worth noting that these apps work
offline on any device running Chrome, including under Windows, OSX,
and Linux.  Also, offline data storage is an html5 feature, so it
might be possible to do some of this stuff using other browsers, but I
haven't looked into this (I'm not sure if you can just punch
drive.google.com into mozilla while disconnected and run offline from
the cache, etc).  Chrome apps are packaged up and locally installed,
though many are still basically just URL redirectors (ie bookmarks
that show up in the app list).

--
Rich