Keith C. Perry on 10 Nov 2014 15:49:20 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Restructuring home network and building a storage server

I wouldn't say using an SBC "fancy".  Its nothing more than the "motherboard" or "brains" of the system.  Same Linux operating system.  I haven't blown a power supply in a very long time but something to consider is that the SBC is going to be about the same price as a power supply.  Also many or them use 5V/2A or 5V/4A units with a micro-usb or barrel plug configuration.  That's not exotic stuff by today's standards so I don't think there should be a concern from that point of view.

If your mobo or a component on your mobo goes and you have to replace then an SBC solution has a benefit.

For the record.  Two of the docks I was looking at if I did an SBC implementation (or in general for external storage) were:

ICY Dock - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198060&cm_re=esata_4_bay_dock-_-17-198-060-_-Product
Mediasonic - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576009

Consider a USB 3.0 solution:
ODroid XU3 Lite - $99 (btw, a power supply separately is $10)
Mediasonic - $99

You're looking at about $200 before you add items miscellaneous items (i.e. cables) and the drives.  Building or buying a new off the shelf system is going to be more than that.  An openbox, refurb or off-lease product might get you there but then what happens when those proprietary builds die?  On a new build, depending on what you are talking about, replacement can get costly.  Spare components for the SBC are not only cheaper but because its Linux even if you couldn't get a spare sometime in the future, you could get a different board and rebuild the system.  The LVM would be intact since any LVM capable system would recognize what you previously set up.

In my case my storage system is also my media server.  When you consider the ability to stack multiple services into such a small power requirement, I think this becomes something worth consideration.

I do admit, I am torn.  I'm very much looking forward to my next server build. :)

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167