Rich Freeman on 11 Nov 2014 06:23:36 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Restructuring home network and building a storage server

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> What I haven't been able to find is a cheap multi-bay disk chassis for home
> use.  Athena power has a nice 12 bay rack mount unit but I don't want to put
> out $800+ for something like that.  Startech has an 8-bay tower with USB 3.0
> and eSata that appears to have an ATX ps.  At $314 that is getting closer to
> what I would pay.  There might even be a way to put an little ARM board in
> there and run it off the 5V rail.

Agree.  I was looking for something like this a while back and had
trouble finding anything.  Really what I'd like is just a smaller
version of one of these:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-storage-pod-4/

Most bays I've seen lack port-multipliers, so you end up needing a ton
of PCI cards to interface them with.  Right now I have 5 SATA ports
and an eSATA on my motherboard, and two PCI cards, and that is barely
enough to handle all the bays I have.  I also have all the hot-swap
headaches that came up earlier around needing to work around cabling.

If somebody had a decent tower that had two eSATA ports on the back
and a stack of maybe 8 drives with 4 per multiplier and a power cable
for $100-150 that would be wonderful.

--
Rich