Keith C. Perry on 22 Dec 2014 11:13:50 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Issuing a cert from OpenSSL without a CSR from the client

For what its worth, years ago I wrote up something for generation self-signed certs for use on Apache when I didn't need to get real certs signed by Network Solutions (Verisign)...

Method 1 - Self-Signed Certificate w/o local CA
openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 4096
openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in server.csr -signkey server.key -out server.crt

Method 2 - Self-Signed Certificate w/ local CA (valid for 10 years)
openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 4096
openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
openssl req -new -x509 -days 3650 -newkey rsa:4096 -keyout ca.key -out ca.crt
openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in server.csr -CA ca.crt -CAkey ca.key -CAcreateserial -out server.crt

For larger organizations we just in our local CA certs into the browser so the users didn't get all the message to accept the self-signed one.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167