K.S. Bhaskar on 31 Jan 2015 11:37:35 -0800

Re: [PLUG] zfs vs btrfs vs …

Thanks, Lee.  I guess btrfs it is.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Lee H. Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
I'd say that ZFS is still way more mature and useful than BTFS at this point.    The use of writeable clones
is a good use case for ZFS.

UnionFS/Fuse is terribly slow.    Native "ZFS on linux" is a special kernel module that can't be re-distributed
as part of an application.    Because of these restrictions the only current high performance re-distribututable
ZFS solutions I know of are on based on OpenIndiana ( NexentaStor) and FreeBSD ( FreeNAS )
NexentStor is commercial ,but free for personal use up to 18TB,  and FreeNAS is free but not opensource,  and
Nas4Free is opensource fork of FreeNAS before it was sold.

The legal issues of shipping "ZFS on Linux" with your product.

For performance and reliability reasons,  ZFS is written to run on native hardware,  and not have any
RAID disk controller in the picture.   If your running as a VM this is problematic as you have no
access to raw disks.

Best practice is to always create a number redundant vdev's .  This means that a minimal
system is 2 disks (mirrored)  to become 1 vdev.    You add capacity by adding additional
vdev's of the same type.   So you can add additional 2-disk mirrors and get both more
capacity in the pool and  2X write performance (Write performance scales with number of
vDev's  , not number of disks )

Unfortunately on standard shared storage each of your mirrors will also be backed by a
RAID-N array,   so you may be storing up to 4X of data in the case of a mirrored vDev
on top of a RAID-10 physical array.

So your solution on Vmware could be a vAPP composed of  virtual storage / NAS VM running
OpenIndiana or FreeBSD,  and and a teacher VM Linux desktop.    The students can
connect Linux desktops / VM's via NFS to the NAS storage.     The vApp could run from
a VM Workstation on a Laptop with SSD, or vSphere

Using a GUI such as FreeNAS would allow very simple cloning ,  or for a bunch of students
write a script to run on the NAS box to atomate the cloning.    In practice the master disk
would have one or more snapshots ( each snapshot representing a version of
the master to distribute )   Then a script to clone master/snap2 to student1, student2, etc.
Another script to nfsmount the clones zfs set nfsmount,   and another scrip to destroy the used
clones.

If you use 'studentX'  the script would only need to prompt for # of clones. , etc
and not require any changes.    In the event something went wrong the FreeNAS
gui could be used to view the results or make easy changes/fixes without
any scripting.

This could really simplify what you need to do and avoid the legal issues above
 buy just using an off-the-shelf solution like FreeNAS.    It should also speed up
your learning of ZFS quite a bit.

There are other niche solutions.    SmartOS is a OpenIndian based hypervisor running from
a thumb drive and running ZFS in the root zone,  as well as  'solaris' style zones
for VM's ( each VM of which is a write-able clone of the OS ) that is automatically
mounted as a new ZFS mount when you create the VM.

Joyant (creator of SmartOS) also added KVM capability to zones , so you can even run Linux as a zone
under SmartOS,  so in theory you could have a Master OS desktop template that
runs under KVM,  and then clone that template desktop out for each student and
each of those are storing only the deltas from the master.

SmartOS is controlled from command line, or open source tools,  or commercial tools
from Joyant ( SmartOS is the hypervisor for Joyant's hosted cloud data-center )  SmartOS
is based on local ZFS storage in each hypervisor,  not shared storage like VMware.

Lee

If this is to be distributed and used by many people,  I'd highly recommend using a NAS distribution
with a GUI for ease of use.    I've recently switched all my storage ( 10TB) or so from Nexenta over to
FreeNAS.   I can recommend FreeNAS 9.3-STABLE that just came out a few months ago.