Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 14 Feb 2015 04:35:48 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The Value of Software Diversity / Beware of Google

It all comes down to money in the end. If you're downloading your Youtube video, you're not watching stupid commercials before it, and therefore not making Google any money.

You'd run into a similar situation if you were able to filter the ads from search results (the "sponsored links"). Google would tolerate it for a very little while, then it would become the second class of banned extension in Google's history.

On the one hand, I agree with your core message completely. Diversity is good. Having all your computing eggs in Google's, Amazon's, or Microsoft's product basket is equally bad.

On the other hand, I don't really object to what Google is doing here either. They've been very transparent and very straightforward about what they're doing and why, and they are just protecting a major revenue stream. They left enough slack and workarounds that you can still download videos if you're motivated enough, as well.