Walt Mankowski on 17 Apr 2015 07:26:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] swappiness and ssd

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:00:01AM -0400, Soren Harward wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Eric H. Johnson
> <ejohnson@camalytics.com> wrote:
> > If you use Firefox a lot, you may want to move it's cache to ram as well. Your fstab line will look something like this:
> >
> > tmpfs /home/les/.mozilla/firefox/vkuuxfit.default/Cache tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
>
> If you have /tmp mounted in RAM (which you should), then a cleaner way
> to do this is just to change Firefox's cache directory to /tmp using
> the browser.cache.disk.parent_directory configuration setting.
> Chromium can do the same using the --disk-cache-dir command-line
> option.

If you do this, you're essentially dedicating a portion of your RAM
solely to your web browser cache.  If you don't, the kernel's disk
cache will still keep frequently accessed web content in RAM, plus you
won't have to download everything again if you reboot.  Is it really
that much faster to justify dedicating RAM to it?  I'd think that
accessing content over the net would be so much slower than disk that
it wouldn't matter.  I'd also guess (but don't know for a fact) that
Firefox would write to its cache in a separate thread from the one
that renders web pages on the screen, so that wouldn't have much of an
impact performance.

Walt