Michael Lazin on 2 Jul 2015 08:18:32 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] not entirely off topic, killing a windows process with cron using cygwin
- From: Michael Lazin <email@example.com>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [PLUG] not entirely off topic, killing a windows process with cron using cygwin
- Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 11:18:24 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=hnA71G6kSINLGlKd8Lmmr+K+QGOsOT9eS+eKuRjiC/A=; b=Lj3vZ4CHE+Ed6wCjIg+9nnhPKKZlLf5b8CVNTs+SkgBath2DPoQOCV9Sv1e9u0xYx9 rUbCNylq7N4/FsDPkp/ZT8/cXfPvI3I/xJbFzWVMOp64VT8noTgqlEu2aYfZwsH4L6GE Pzkspx4bjqSxfDeNWHVHfEr3x3vaBunA4nPWlezq083DEmD7lIo/GNqe3ylmYwLQIqeS tPdoLVHeAxcdEu5O37szB9ps7vz2PIgQh26QFAO8ljYMZlvF1TLnh7j06OdNjdU9VKKm zC+IkGF+uGaECnzm7DiYTdieV1mM9C2xZmC0SJD7hPMInzdaykH5+i/sLQm3Kzyi46Fh m+lA==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: "plug" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I have a windows process that I should shut down every night. I am more comfortable with bash than I am with windows anything. I used cygwin and a small bash one-liner to kill my process. I have tested my bash one liner and it does kill said process, my question is, do I have to leave my cygwin bash terminal open for cron to run my bash script?
I checked stack overflow and they say this:stackoverflow.com/questions/707184/how-do-you-run-a-crontab-in-cygwin-on-windows
I don't have admin on my windows machine, I can't make it run as a service
I don't want to use the windows schedular, I want to use bash dammit.
My question to the group is is anyone familiar enough with cygwin to know if the cron function will work if I don't run cygwin as a service, do I need my cygwin bash window to be open for this to work?
I might try scheduling a task for tonight when I'm still here to see if it succeeds, but I was just wondering if anyone has experience scheduling with cron in cygwin.
to gar auto estin noein te kai ennai
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug