K.S. Bhaskar on 12 Jul 2015 07:14:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] swappiness and ssd

My laptop has 8GiB RAM, and except when I run my 64-bit Win 7 virtual machine and have a lot of browser tabs open, that RAM is plenty.  But on those infrequent occasions when I have both, my system does need to swap - not much, but it does need to swap.  For years, I ran without turning on swap at all, and would monitor RAM and run swapon to turn on swap only when I saw the RAM running low.

The traditional view of swapping is that it is undesirable because reading from swap is slow, and swap should therefore be used only if unavoidable.  Therefore, the received wisdom is to set a low value of swappiness, to swap only when unavoidable, and take a performance hit when that happened.

But, write cycle limits aside, I believe SSDs require a rethink.  Reading from SSD is very fast, much faster than from rotating media.  Writing to SSDs is slow (although still faster than to hard drives).  So, setting a high value of swappiness encourages the OS to write unused pages of memory to SSD early - and the fast reading from SSD means that when a page is needed from swap, it's almost immediately available.  The RAM on the system never goes low enough for performance to take a hit.

Anyway, an ounce of experience beats a pound of speculation and expert opinion.  For me, setting swappiness to 80 with the swap space in an ordinary file in an xfs filesystem (with discard) in an encrypted partition works well, and has worked well for weeks.  So, that's what I intend to continue using.

Regards
-- Bhaskar