JP Vossen on 8 Aug 2015 15:12:04 -0700

[PLUG] Mint updates always prompt to replace /etc/issue, etc...

I've got a minor but annoying problem on several Mint 17 boxes.  Every
time I do an update I am prompted to replace
/etc/{issue,issue.net,lsb_release} and that hangs the update until I
notice and hit "y" 3 times to install the 3 "new" versions.  Except that
all 3 are always identical to the existing versions.

After a lot of searching, I finally figured out that the "base-files"
package that owns those files is from Ubuntu and
'/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/mint-adjust.py' **OVERWRITES** them via
'/etc/init.d/mintsystem' at boot!

That's annoying.  "base-files" is a pretty simple package and it seems
like it could be superseded by a Mint version, but if it was that simple
I'd guess they'd have done that.  So probably Ubuntu has a ton of
complicated depends on that package somehow.  Sigh.

I just wanted to document this so maybe next time I forget I'll find
this again.  Here's a sample from a VM where I've chosen both keep and
replace options over time [1], which was a clue.

Later,
JP

[1]
/etc$ $ head issue* lsb-release*
==> issue <==
Linux Mint 17 Qiana \n \l

==> issue.dpkg-new <==
Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS \n \l

==> issue.dpkg-old <==
Linux Mint 17 Qiana \n \l

==> issue.net <==
Linux Mint 17 Qiana
==> issue.net.dpkg-new <==
Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

==> issue.net.dpkg-old <==
Linux Mint 17 Qiana
==> lsb-release <==
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=17
DISTRIB_CODENAME=qiana
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17 Qiana"

==> lsb-release.dpkg-new <==
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS"

==> lsb-release.dpkg-old <==