Walt Mankowski on 9 Aug 2015 17:54:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] xargs guide

On Sat, Aug 08, 2015 at 04:24:34PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:43:19 -0400
> Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 01:50:18AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > >
> > > I need to get more info from you about that offline. The short
> > > answer is to satisfy Google's "Mobile Friendly" test, but there's a
> > > lot more to it than that. I'll email you tomorrow with questions.
> >
> > I don't do much web development these days, but maybe it has something
> > to do with the
> >
> > body{font-size: 30px;}
> >
> > on line 13 of your HTML? :)
> >
> > Walt
>
> Hi Walt,
>
> Thanks for pointing this out to me. One of my pet peeves is sites that
> dictate absolute point size, overriding the browser.
>
> I made a couple changes, including changing the 30px to 125% (which
> isn't *nearly* as severe an increase as 30px). Could you please reload
> and have another look at http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/xargs.htm
> to see if it's an improvement over the 30pt clockface font?

It looks a little better, I guess, but the font still seems too
big. I'm reading it on a 1080p monitor with my browser taking up the
full height, but I can only see about 20 lines of text on a screen.

I don't know anything about responsive web design aside from the name,
but surely there must be better ways to accomplish it than making your
fonts enormous for everyone.

Walt