Gavin W. Burris on 16 Sep 2015 12:50:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Samba vfs_full_audit operations

Hi, Paul.

These operations should all be standard Linux calls.  Have you looked at the Linux man pages?  Try searching for the function with the apropos command:

$ apropos pwrite
pwrite (2)           - read from or write to a file descriptor at a given offset
pwrite (3p)          - write on a file
pwrite64 (2)         - read from or write to a file descriptor at a given offset
pwritev (2)          - read or write data into multiple buffers

$ man 2 pwrite

$ apropos ^unlink
unlink (1)           - call the unlink function to remove the specified file
unlink (1p)          - call theunlink() function
unlink (2)           - delete a name and possibly the file it refers to
unlink (3p)          - remove a directory entry relative to directory file descriptor
unlinkat (2)         - delete a name and possibly the file it refers to

$ man 2 unlink

etc.

I hope that helps, not trying to say RTFM.  :)  ONe of my favorites:

$ man 7 signal

Cheers.

On Wed 09/16/15 02:08PM -0400, PaulNM wrote:
> Ok, I'm feeling really stupid here....
>
> Does anyone know of a good source of info about the various smb vfs
> operations, specifically what they mean?
>
> For example, what does realpath do? What's the difference between open and
> read? Or open vs lock. Or getlock vs lock, and so on.  Ultimately I'm trying
> to fine tune my server's auditing, while having a better understanding of
> precisely what the log is saying.
>
> I did find a list of the operations at
> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/vfs_full_audit.8.html
> but that doesn't really explain them.
>
> Granted, some are fairly obvious (mkdir/rmdir/chmod/etc), but others seem to
> overlap.  As far as I can tell, the only operations that result in existing
> file content changes/deletions are pwrite/write/rename/rmdir/unlink. (Unlink
> is apparently delete.)
>
> I've been banging my head on this for awhile. The samba.org docs are pretty
> detailed, but I'm failing to find what I'm looking for. And internet
> searches just keep bringing up posts with log results in them, not really
> any answers.
>
> - PaulNM

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania