Keith C. Perry on 19 Sep 2015 08:31:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Off-topic: Cell Phone Call Quality

Very hard thing to deal with and the truth of the matter is that its a dynamic problem- wireless, carrier, handset and environment all have to be optimum to actually provide acceptable calls.

From what you describe it sounds like a carrier issue or an issue with the S3 on your carrier.  Handset - carrier integration is one the bigger issues these days.  There are a couple of things you can try.

1) Try a call in an open area while stationary on a clear day -  Attempt that in places that you frequent. This will help determine general carrier coverage.  This is only one side of the equation so also...

2) Drop your handset down to its lowest capability mode - For instance, on Sprint that mean 3G.  Whatever that is for Net-10 its going to be the "slowest" mode and least data capable (lowest bandwidth).  This will help determine how your device does on the carrier network with the most basic mode supported.

3) Call LAN lines or a voice / music service off the network -  Calls that stay within the mobile network may not be processed the same.  When calls have to handed off to other carriers I've found they can sound better.  One of the things I do when I have bad mobile connection is switch to my business line.  It may sound surprising but a VoIP call over a VPN via my PBX often sounds better than a direct mobile call.  Which leads me to my last point...

4) Try another voice call technology -  A traditional VoIP deployment is overkill for a test but you can do voice calls through Google hangouts, fring, skype and other services these days.  That may actually provide the best experience.  You would be using data but the good thing is that voice uses very little data.

---
KP