Andrew Libby on 16 Oct 2015 12:43:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Cygwin preso and related discussion

FWIW, whatever installs with git on windows with the standard
git distribution is pretty nice.  I don't do a ton on windows,
but when I need to look at log files, or copy files, scp, and
so on it's really convenient to have the shell and set of
unix tools git provides.

I couldn't quickly figure it out by looking at git-scm.com, anyone
know what they ship with?

Andy

On 10/16/15 3:33 PM, JP Vossen wrote:
> Thanks to Michael DePaolo for the great Cygwin talk the other night.  I
> haven't been forced to use Windows in a while and thus haven't needed
> it, but it was great to see how much it has improved!
>
> I personally have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Cygwin, because
> as Michael said it's a bit of a mish-mash of Linux and Windows, so it's
> not quite fully either, and that can get ugly.  Still, it's a HECK of a
> lot better than being stuck with just Windows cmd.exe and it is an
> awesome thing with the right mind-set and context.
>
> That said, sometimes it can be over-kill, and there are some other
> alternatives like the gnuwin32 and Unxutils ports.  I've talked about
> them before with some other related tools:
> http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2007-09/msg00280.html
> http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2009-05/msg00063.html
> http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2010-03/msg00028.html
>
> And I also have some aging sections about it here:
> http://www.jpsdomain.org/windows/winshell.html
> http://www.jpsdomain.org/windows/win-tools.html
>
> Hopefully these tools will be helpful for those stuck using Windows. :-)
> JP
> ----------------------------|:::======|-------------------------------
> JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|      http://bashcookbook.com/
> My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/
> "Microsoft Tax" = the additional hardware & yearly fees for the add-on
> software required to protect Windows from its own poorly designed and
> implemented self, while the overhead incidentally flattens Moore's Law.

Andrew Libby
alibby@xforty.com
484-887-7505 x 1115
http://xforty.com