JP Vossen on 19 Oct 2015 21:43:48 -0700

[PLUG] Netdisco & RANCID

Thanks to Bill for his great talk on what he did on his summer vacation.
 Oops, wait, that was 5th grade...  I mean, on "Netdisco: The Open
Source Networking Swiss Army Knife."  (You had to be there. :)  I was
previously not aware of that tool and it was really interesting to see
what it can do.

I also mentioned a vaguely related tool that may be of some interest.

http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/
RANCID - Really Awesome New Cisco confIg Differ
RANCID monitors a router's (or more generally a device's) configuration,
including software and hardware (cards, serial numbers, etc) and uses
CVS (Concurrent Version System) or Subversion to maintain history of
changes.
Rancid currently supports Allied Telesis switches running AW+, Cisco
routers, Juniper routers, Catalyst switches, Foundry switches (now
Brocade), Redback NASs, ADC EZT3 muxes, MRTd (and thus likely IRRd),
Alteon switches, and HP Procurve switches and a host of others.

I love the idea because I love putting stuff in revision control, but I
haven't actually used the tool, but we implemented it at $WORK-- and I
read our internal docs and some of the project docs.

Later,
JP