brent timothy saner on 21 Oct 2015 21:17:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Void Linux tips

On 10/21/2015 11:45 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

> For me, the elephant in the room was systemd, which Arch embraces
> enthusiastically, and which Void formerly used as its init before
> dumping it for runit.

not liking systemd is certainly a right and prerogative someone has, but
what you've presented here is largely a preference rather than any sort
of objective reasoning.

there is a lot of FUD around systemd, however, which i discuss in
S0E8[0] of my podcast (starting at 39m20s).

i find a lot of it comes from individuals who have never actually used
systemd in a production or regular environment (or a *proper* systemd
implementation- such as Arch's- and have instead used a half-cocked
hybridized implementation such as debian, ubuntu, centos to a lesser
degree, etc.)

i'd invite you to look a bit deeper into systemd and use it a little bit
before criticizing it.

> Arch offers only a chroot installation.

this is indeed true, but worth mentioning are Antergos[1]
(pre-configured Arch install) and Makeiso (previously Evo/Lution)[2], an
Arch installer project. Lastly, one can use the monthly tarball
bootstraps (found at e.g. [3] and other full Arch mirrors), extract them
on the root-level mount of a disk and then chroot in and install a
bootloader (and probably run a pacman update as well, as the bootstrap
tarballs are released monthly). This tends to be quite a bit faster than
the "normal" Arch install method.

> If you compare Void with Slackware, Void's package manager deals with
dependencies, Slackware's not so much.

Slackware's last official stable release was also almost 2 years ago, so
this is probably a good alternative. ;)

[0] https://sysadministrivia.com/notes/Season_0:Episode_8
[1] https://antergos.com/
[2] http://www.evolutionlinux.com/