Mike DePaulo on 5 Nov 2015 20:58:03 -0800

[PLUG] Cygwin and Git for Windows

Hi Andrew,

I am catching up on email threads related to my existing 3 PLUG talks
(Cygwin, Fedora and X2Go.)

You sent the email below in reply to this thread:
Re: [PLUG] Cygwin preso and related discussion

The presentation was on 2015-10-13 at PLUG north.

The simple answer is that "Git for Windows" is "msysGit", which as its
name implies, is based on MSYS or MSYS2. MSYS and MSYS2 that provide
the shell and tools that you enjoy using. They are both forks of
Cygwin.

The terminal emulator is mintty 2.0.x. Cygwin uses it also:
https://code.google.com/p/mintty/

The long answer:

Actually, the git.exe is a native windows executable, but it comes
with those tools and the shell, which are MSYS or MSYS2.

msysGit 1.x is based on MSYS, which is forked from an ancient version
of the Cygwin DLL (1.3.3, from 2001!). MSYS is nearly abandoned and is
part of the original MinGW suite, which is also nearly abandoned.

msysGit 2.x is based on MSYS2, which is forked from a recent version
of Cygwin and tracks upstream Cygwin closely. MSYS2 is a healthy
project and it is part of the MinGW-w64 suite (for both 32-bit and
64-bit Windows), which is also a healthy project.

Note that the original use case of both MSYS and MSYS2 is to enable
compiling software with MinGW / MinGW-w64. These are ports of GCC and
the rest of the GNU toolchain to windows, and as such, rely on on
tools like a unix-like shell.

Git for Windows's huge jump from 1.9 to 2.3 happened in April 2015.

MSYS and MSYS2 made numerous changes to Cygwin's codebase. I am not an
expert on those changes. My limited understanding is that they made
the shell and utilities more user-friendly for Windows users, but at
the expense of posix compatibility and real-world compatibility with
many source packages in the Cygwin distribution (and in Linux
distributions.)

You want to run the full-featured GNOME or MATE desktop environments
on Cygwin/X, right? Well I assume that would not be possible with
MSYS2. It definitely would not be possible with the original MSYS!

See slide 10 in my 2015-10-13 talk. It's a perfect example of the
awkward relationship between Cygwin, MSYS, MSYS2, msysGit, and
Microsoft:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2L_OrCln9ShdEo2UXRPckIxQ2s

-Mike