Casey Bralla on 22 Nov 2015 09:29:29 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Need to Convert HTML Page to jpg Image

Good questions, Steve.

I want a simple screen-shot of the first page.  I'll shrink this down to about
20% of full size and display it next to a pull-down list of uploaded pages.
This way the user will have both a saved name, and simple visual image of the
page they uploaded.

The user won't have to actually read the details of the page;  he'll just be
able to recognize it so he can remember what is on it.

On Sunday, November 22, 2015 12:13:03 PM Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 11:58:33 -0500
>
> Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
> > I'm writing a web application where users will upload an HTML page
> > which will be shown on another page.   I want to allow the user to
> > see a miniature image of the HTML file they uploaded.
> >
> > Anybody know how to convert an HTML page into a jpg or png file?
> > I've seen online tools to do this, but I need to have my application
> > automatically convert them on the fly (ie: I need a cli program to
> > convert HTML into a png or jpg.)
>
> I think you need to define your requirements more tightly. Do you want
> the .png to include every single word of a 500K word web page? A sort
> of 8.5" x 3000" .png? Or do you want the .png to be what the viewer sees
> in the browser after the HTML file has been loaded but before any
> scrolling or navigation has taken place? Do you need just the raw text,
> or do you need the appearance and fonts too? Do you want the containing
> browser to be part of the image (a screenshot, in other words)?
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
>      of the Successful Technologist
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/techniques

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence