Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 2 Dec 2015 09:06:29 -0800

Re: [PLUG] fans

I respectfully disagree. A failing fan due to bearings going, or crud near the hub will work harder, get hot, get louder, and move less air/spin slower, but will generally have a steady RPM.

The "sawtooth" RPM cycle (start low, increase to high RPM, reset to low) indicates a fan that is working normally (or at least isn't the main problem), and a fan sensor that is not reading reliably or at all.

Fan controllers start the RPM low, at a level known to spin the fan at low speed, and increase the voltage/speed until they sense RPM from the fan sensor. If they reach full RPM w/o sensing RPM, they will generally reset and start over, for at least a few tries, and will then trigger a warning or alarm via the BMC.

So while cleaning the fan is always a good idea, and lubing the bearings every year or two is also great (though I don't think I like your method), the symptoms here indicate a problem with the sensor/BMC, not a problem with the fan itself.

OP/Jeff: Can you clarify if this is what you meant by "revving noises"? Speed ramping up and dropping back? If you meant it was just way louder than usual, JP's advice may be better, though a replacement fan would work for either problem.