Thomas Delrue on 7 Jan 2016 10:08:11 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Time Warner and Linode report possible password breaches

A couple of years back, I worked for a high-profile multinational and
was privileged to a certain amount of very sensitive information. There
weren't really any real restrictions on me walking off with it (aside
from me not being a dick, but YMMV).
Sure, they have MFA (multi-factor auth), and auditing and a bunch of
other 'industry best practices' in place to make the suits feel good and
tick the right boxes when auditing time rolls around.

In reality though, none of these things really prevents a bad apple. Any
of these systems can be circumvented easily with a little imagination
(this is *not* an instruction manual):
- - MFA: gain access to the systems while you aren't identified as a bad
apple yet
- - auditing: "yeah, boss, I accessed that, but I *really* need it for my
job..." Boss without looking up: "ohh... ok, no problem! /signs off/"
- - Need-to-know: mount.nfs
secure-server.domain.com:/home/encryption_user/.ssh $HOME/pwned (for
auditing access of this, see 'auditing')
- - Encryption: see need-to-know

And this is in a company that knows pretty well what it's doing.

Now, for biometrics, I expect the following to happen in the future (cf.
OPM breach)

Proud Boss: We use biometrics, which are an 'industry best practice', to
log into our systems
Underling: My biometric information was compromised by company X
suffering a data breach (e.g. Pearsons/OPM/etc...) so you can't really
use it securely.

Proud Boss: Hmmm... errr... here's a password you can use instead. Don't
tell anyone about this
Proud Boss prime: ok, we won't hire you then. Not your own fault, but
the consequence are yours to deal with. Enjoy your 2 years of free
credit reporting you got from them.
Proud Boss double-prime: meh... we'll use your biometrics anyway and
pretend you didn't tell us that.