Casey Bralla on 10 Mar 2016 16:23:07 -0800

[PLUG] Convert from Hard Drive to SSD

I recently bought an SSD and want to clone my existing Hard Drive onto the SSD, ideally without mucking up the existing Gentoo desktop system.

I would use clonezilla or even dd, but my SSD is only 240 GBytes, while the Hard Drive is 1 TByte. These programs require that the new disk be at least as large as the original.

My only thought so far is to use gparted to reduce the size of the partition on the Hard Drive to 240 GBytes total. That seems cludgy, however.

Anybody suggest a good strategy for this?