Keith C. Perry on 13 Apr 2016 10:35:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Desktop Support ?

Things aren't quite that clean- once electrical systems go out of spec (e.g. under or overvoltage how that is caused... e.g. source, parasitic, cascading events creates a dynamic failure) all bets are off since it is impossible to detect and trap multi-system faults unless you have external supervisory circuitry in place.

Even on a journaling FS, garbage in = garbage out

Ibid for RAID...

Those mechanisms address availability not data protection.  This is why backing up your data and system is so important.

That said, on journaling FS' you would probably be able to at least mount the system (which it sounds like you did) and then pull off anything important, if not corrupt.  I would not trust a file system after an event like that- bad things seem to always happen again- later... when you least expect it.

I would continue to watch the hardware too.  There certain electrical components that fail in a more mechanical way so at some point in the future weird things may happen that appear random.  I tend to make note of all substantial failures in case an need to dig through history for pattern analysis.

You have the right idea.  Reinstalling and restoring you data is your best move so you have confidence in you system.

---
KP-