K.S. Bhaskar on 17 Apr 2016 07:27:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] >32K concurrent processes

Thanks Steve, but in this case we have a customer need to crank up the number of processes on Linux.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 17:40:09 -0400
"K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:

> I am trying to crank up more than 32K concurrent processes (the
> processes themselves hang and do a teeny bit of activity every 10
> seconds). But the OS (64-bit Debian 8 - Jessie) stubbornly refuses to
> crank up beyond 32K-ish processes. pid_max is set to a very large
> number (1M), so that's not it. Any suggestions on what limits to look
> for appreciated. Thank you very much.

This is old information, but back in the day people who wanted lots and
lots of processes used one of the BSDs to host that server.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21