Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 17 Apr 2016 12:26:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] For the Engineers

Entertainingly, I was just hearing about CAELinux yesterday. Somebody on the Ubuntu forums was having ten tons of trouble getting his ethernet working. In a shocking set of revelations, CAELinux is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is OLD like DIRT and METHUSELAH. His motherboard was a Z170 board.... From late 2015. I had to let him know gently that that motherboard and that distro could maybe be twisted into "kinda-working" condition, but I couldn't recommend running a distro older than the hardware as a matter of routine.

I get that CAELinux's whole schtick is about being uber-tested and terribly solid, but basing your distro on an LTS release with one year of life left to it doesn't seem bright, and I can't imagine throwing anything older than 14.04 on a new setup.