Rich Freeman on 27 Apr 2016 06:58:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] disk image one-liner

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
> XFS dumps are absolutely atomic.  When you run the dump operation you're
> getting a consistent representation (snapshot) at that time.  Changes can
> safely be made to the file system while the dumps are running and will get
> picked up in the next run of xfsdump.

Are you saying that if I start a dump that takes an hour to complete,
then change a bunch of files, the dump will reflect the contents of
the file as of the moment the dump was started?  That wasn't clear in
my quick google searching, but it is of course theoretically possible
with a journaling filesystem.

> There is also the fsarchive program Rich mentioned but I would be wary of
> live dumping file systems that do not natively support it or are not using
> of an LV snapshot. I don't have any experience with it though.

That tool is definitely NOT intended to be used on live filesystems.

You definitely want to understand the filesystems you're backing up
and how to best do it.

--
Rich