Matt Berlin on 28 Apr 2016 18:22:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Micro Center Flash Drives?

All good things to say about the 32GB here.  Just be aware the come formatted FAT32.

Matthew Berlin
matt@psofe.com

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 7:41 PM, PaulNM <plug@paulscrap.com> wrote:
On 04/28/2016 12:21 PM, Greg Helledy wrote:
My experience with them is from 10+ years ago, but I got a couple and
they worked flawlessly for years.  I eventually replaced them because
capacities had increased...I probably still have them in a box with
other retired tech bits and pieces.

My impression was they were slightly slower than equivalents from the
big name brand at the time (SanDisk, I think?) but not enough for me to
care about.

Yeah, you'd never be able to use them for Window's ReadyBoost. :) They're pretty good if you're copying a few large files, but do slow down a bit with lots and lots of smaller files. It's been ages since I've really done a speed test though, or copy everything onto a freshly formated drive. I usually use rsync or something similar to update the contents of my 32 and 64GB drives.

Adding another distro to my MultiSystem drive happens pretty quickly, though. It's only takes a minute or two.

The big test case for me is my wsusoffline collection. It's some 5,000 files/folders taking up over 26GB. It used to be worse (especially back in WinXP) with many more files. (Win 10 changed quite a few things in regards to updates. In particular they bundle them up now.)

- PaulNM